I know it's a bit late to be posting a recipe about pancakes seeing as it was Shrove Tuesday yesterday. But I'm sure that after yesterday we have all realised that we need to be making them more often. So here is a recipe for those light and fluffy American style pancakes.
-2 cups plain flour
-2 1/2 cups buttermilk ( or simply use 1 part Greek yogurt to 1 part milk, to make up the required amount)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1) Sieve all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
2) Separate the eggs, mix the egg yolks with the buttermilk and vanilla.
3) Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt.
4) Mix the wet ingredients with the flour mixture.
5) Lastly fold the egg whites into the batter.
6) Heat a frying pan and grease with a little oil or butter. These are American pancakes so you only want to pour in enough batter to make a small circle. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the mixture begins to set and bubble slightly. Then flip over and leave to cook for another minute.
If the pancake batter is a bit too thick and is cooking a lot faster on the bottom side than on top, just thin the mixture out by adding a bit more milk until you are happy with the consistency.
As awful as it sounds I like to enjoy these pancakes with chocolate spread and golden syrup, (together), delicious!